Our client is a prestigious auction house and we are assisting them in their search for a Chinese Art Specialist who will be based in Paris.
They are seeking a Specialist who has fluency in French & English and, ideally, written and spoken Chinese, as well as experience in Asian art, particularly Chinese art, from a reputable company or auction house. They also desire a skilled cataloguer, valuer, and proactive business developer.
You are well-versed in the French market, which consists primarily of individual customers and dealers, and you know how to grow your business there. You have outstanding organisational and analytical skills. You also have a friendly and vocal manner. You will mainly support our marketing and photography teams, our global team of professionals, and your fellow departmental coworkers and administrators. You have a specialist in Chinese Art and will continually strive to expand your knowledge and abilities in this area.
As Chinese Art Specialist, you will be responsible for:
- Business acquiring on a national level to enable the department to meet the department sales budgets.
- Encourage the Chinese Art department to pursue new business opportunities.
- Maintain and assist the Chinese Art department's ongoing database of customers, both buyers and sellers.
- Stay in touch with established collectors to promote more business with the company, either as buyers or sellers.
- Maintain communication with established trade contacts to promote further business with the company.
- Research and cataloguing of Chinese Art works for private sale and auction (Paris, export).
- Create proposal materials for business pitches.
- Provide valuations (both in the office and other locations).
- Work with the senior Chinese Art expert to create a marketing and advertising plan that will, within the allocated funds, support the department's business acquisition and sales initiatives.
- Create condition reports for work that will be sold.
- Support the team's cataloguer to foster their professional growth and understanding of the market.
- General administrative duties to guarantee the department's efficient operation.
- Investigating collections and works of art, as well as writing scholarly essays for the auction catalogues.
- Help the group create the catalogues so that the printers receive them on time.
- Provide support for exhibition events as needed.
- Mentoring the team's junior members in compliance with the Head of Department's requirements.
- Obtain knowledge of competitors' strategies to ensure the company are in the best standing.
- Excellent knowledge and passion for Chinese Art, with proven experience as a Specialist in this area.
- Possession of a degree or an equivalent qualification.
- A functional working knowledge of the entire auction process and any associated protocols (such as VAT and shipping laws).
- Fluent in Mandarin, French, and English.
- Good understanding of the Chinese Art market and trends.
- Business acumen and valuation skills.
- An existing network of industry contacts with the ability to build on this.