Payroll management can provide many job opportunities if you are considering a career within Human Resources. The principal role of the Human Resources Payroll Manager is to ensure accurate delivery of payroll to a company’s workforce. You may also be responsible for a team of payroll administrators depending upon the size of the organisation.
Working in a Payroll Manager job is a very rewarding experience and can lead to other senior HR positions within a company. You will be involved with weekly or monthly payroll runs, ensuring the employer and employee PAYE are managed and paid in good time. You would also be responsible for managing the company’s pensions and benefits payments as well as maintaining payroll accounts and employee records.
What does a Payroll Manager job description include?
- You will be required to coordinate and manage the payroll process for the organisation and possibly at divisional level if required.
- You may be heading up a team of payroll administrators and in this instance it will be your responsibility to ensure they carry out their duties correctly and prepare and run the required payroll reports to support the company’s accounts.
- The Payroll Manager is required to check and audit all payrolls to ensure legislative and awards compliance (tax compliance, superannuation etc.) is adhered.
- The Payroll Manager will ensure that any company benefit programmes ie medical care, pensions, bonuses etc are managed efficiently and effectively.
- Some Payroll Manger’s jobs may also require the calculation, payment and reconciliation of group tax.
- Maintenance of staff payroll and tax records.
- You will also balance monthly accounts and submit reports to the company’s accounting department.
- Manage systems and suggests changes/upgrades as and when required.
- The Payroll Manager will also be required to submit management reports, liaise with HR staff regarding new appointments, terminations and other relevant matters.
Key skills and qualifications of a Payroll Manager:
- You will be educated to degree level and may also be required to hold relevant HR qualifications associated with payroll
- You must have detailed knowledge of PAYE and regulations.
- The Payroll Manager is required to be an excellent team player as well as a good communicator.
- You must be able to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines as well as be able to manage your own time effectively.
- The Payroll Manger is expected to have experience and understanding of payroll related compliance.
- Strong analytical skills are required and the ability to be able to problem solve.
- You must be proficient in Microsoft Office and any other industry standard payroll software.
How to find more Payroll jobs within the HR Industry:
To find more Payroll jobs or other jobs within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.