Planning a career as a Commodities Trader will guarantee you a job that is both interesting and exciting. The focus is investing in commodities, unlike stock traders who buy and sell equities. Most traders are paid on a commission basis.
As a trader in this field you may not necessarily have need for the specific asset you are trading, but rather you will be looking forward to future contracts. This is a fast moving environment and one that requires someone who can think on their feet and enjoys immersing themselves in the commodities markets. Key to this role, is the ability to watch and research in order to buy and sell at the right time. The prime commodity markets are gold and oil, but there are also markets for agricultural commodities such as grain, sugar, cotton as well as precious metals.
What does the Commodity Trader job description include?
- No one day is the same. Your main focus will be on the commodities markets, which can fluctuate significantly risking both gains and losses.
- Trading commodities means you will be required to study the markets closely as part of your daily tasks.
- You will action buys and sells on behalf of his customers through the process of ‘bidding’. Commodities are rarely delivered, but instead ‘hedged’.
- You may also be called upon to provide advice and guidance on what to buy and sell.
- You may have face to face contact with your clients, or deal over the telephone or via the internet. Good customer care and relationship building is essential to gain trust and confidence.
- You are expected to carry out financial reconciliations for cashflows and bank accounts whilst maintaining accurate records for audit purposes.
Key skills and qualifications of a Commodities Trader:
- You will be educated to degree level and may also be required to hold industry qualifications related to the position on offer.
- Must have excellent analytical skills and be able to process problems and reach conclusions quickly.
- Excellent numeracy skills are a key element of this job as well as good communication skills.
- You are required to be able to work with a high level of accuracy and within tight deadlines.
- Trading commodities requires someone who is able to work within a team, but also has the ability to make decisions in a logical manner.
- Expect to work with Microsoft Office computer software but also other industry related software common to the job.
How to find more Commodities Trader jobs within the Trading and Manufacturing Industry:
To find job opportunities within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.