Working within the Maritime sector as a Legal and Insurance Manager requires someone who is a fully qualified shipping lawyer. Most employers will be looking for substantial experience of working within a law practice to fill vacancies.
Using your Maritime law knowledge, you could be working with a team of other lawyers and insurance personnel, on a variety of cases on behalf of the organisation.
What does a Legal and Insurance Manager job description include?
- You may be managing a team of Marine law and insurance specialists and so you will be expected to be able to manage the workflow and oversee case results.
- You must be able to prepare reports for clients as well as be able to explain procedures and processes in a simple but clear way so that clients are able to fully understand.
- You will be involved in the drafting or supervising of insurance policies.
- As the Legal and Insurance Manager your role will involve the managing of the claims process for the company.
Key skills and qualifications of a Legal and Insurance Manager:
- You will be educated to degree level and will be a fully qualified lawyer, preferable with previous experience of working as a Shipping or Maritime Lawyer.
- A Legal and Insurance Manager must have extensive knowledge of marine law and marine insurance.
- You must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Previous experience of managing people is an advantage, but may not be necessary depending upon the job available.
- You must have good leadership and evaluation skills as well as being able to demonstrate problem solving techniques.
- You must have a broad experience of shipping litigation, but will have demonstrable experience of ship insurance claims and LMAA Arbitrations. Experience in other areas of Maritime law and insurance such as ship arrests and cargo claims are highly desirable.
- You must be able to operate the Microsoft Office software suite.
How to find more Legal and insurance Manager jobs within the Maritime Industry:
To find more Legal and Insurance Manager jobs or other jobs within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.