The Sea Freight Import Clerk or as it is sometimes known, Ocean Freight Import Clerk, deals with the transportation of goods in sea containers. This job is located in the Freight Forwarding industry within the Shipping and Logistics Sector. The containers are shipped via major worldwide seaports or terminals.
The Sea Freight Import Clerk handles the inbound transportation of the goods ensuring all documentation is in order ready to receive shipments.
In the role of Sea Freight Import Clerk you will be expected to have a full understanding of the documentation processes required to successfully receive goods into the country of destination and be especially familiar with the role of Customs and the preparation of Bills of Lading.
What does a Sea Freight Import Clerk job description include?
- The Sea Freight Import Clerk job is directly involved with all imported goods received into the country of destination. The principle function of the Sea Freight Import Clerk is to ensure all necessary paperwork is complete and legally acceptable to Customs to allow clearance and entry into the country.
- You will be required to obtain charges and cargo release details from freight forwarding agents and shipping lines.
- The Sea Freight Import Clerk is also responsible for ensuring any payments due are made in advance of any shipment as required. You will process all payments and raise necessary paperwork for accounting purposes inline with company requirements.
- You will arrange the release and transportation of goods received to cargo importers.
- The Sea Freight Import Clerk liaises daily with external agents and clients to ensure the smooth and efficient discharge of their duties.
Key skills and qualifications of a Sea Freight Import Clerk:
- The successful candidate will be educated to a high standard and hold a recognised higher education certificate.
- Previous experience as a Sea Freight Import Clerk may not be required if you have had similar experience in other jobs in Freight Forwarding.
- You will have a solid understanding of all Customs clearance documentation and experience of preparation of Bills of Lading in particular.
- A Sea Freight Import Clerk must have excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- You will be expected to negotiate terms and fee rates and so it is important that you have previous experience in this area and are numerate.
- You must also be familiar with industry standard computer programs and be able to operate standard systems pertinent to the job.
How to find more Sea Freight Import Clerk jobs within the Freight Forwarding Industry:
To find more Sea Freight Clerk jobs or other jobs within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.