The role of an Agency Manager within a Shipping Agency involves the management and overseeing of all operations related to shipments and cargo at ports and harbours on behalf of shipping companies.
This wonderfully varied job provides great opportunities for anyone wanting to develop a career in a Shipping Agency as an Agency Manager. This role involves the planning and management of vessel loading and discharge, which will include the liaison with Port Authorities, clients and ships personnel. Most Agency Manager jobs do require previous experience in this role or certainly within the industry generally
What does an Agency Manager job description include?
- As an Agency Manager, your principle job will be to plan where ships are to berth so that their cargo can be either loaded or discharged. The will include the calculation of the number of port operatives requires to load and unload in a safe and timely manner.
- The Agency Manager works closely with other management personnel to ensure that they can carry out their job with the greatest efficiency thereby ensuring client and organisational targets are met.
- Managing safety is a key aspect of the Agency Manager’s job as ports can be extremely dangerous and hazardous places to work. It is vital, therefore, that you inspect and ensure all working areas are safe and that port operatives engaged to carry out work have been properly trained and understand the strict health and safety rules that apply within port environments.
- As an Agency Manager you will liaise daily with other port users such as freight customers and shipping agents. You will also develop close working relationships with the Port Authorities and HM Customs and Immigration.
Key skills and qualifications of an Agency Manager:
- To qualify as an Agency Manger you will have previous experience within a shipping agency and ideally you will also be educated to degree level.
- Strong interpersonal skills are a critical requirement of this role as well as excellent written and presentational skills.
- As an Agency Manager you must have previous man management experience and be familiar with interviewing and recruiting new personnel. You will also be required to oversee any training requirements and ensure personnel maintain all related legal and legislative requirements.
- As you will be working closely with Port and Harbour Authorities, it is important that you understand legal requirements and have a full understanding of all HM Customs and Immigration procedures.
- An Agency Manger must be numeric and be able to problem solve under pressure and work to tight deadlines.
- You must be familiar with industry standard software and be fully competent in Microsoft Windows.
How to find more Agency Manager jobs within the Shipping Line/Agency Industry:
To find more Agency Manager jobs or other jobs within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.