Taking on a Procurement job within Shipping offers many career opportunities including the possibility of working within international procurement. Procurement is the acquisition of goods or services on behalf of the organisation.
It is the job of the Procurement Manage to ensure that all goods and services purchased are done so at the best possible price and also with the best interests of the company at all times.
What does a Procurement Manager job description include?
- The principle function of any Procurement Manager is to source and purchase goods and services inline with any budget requirements.
- As a Shipping Procurement Manager you may be responsible for a team of people who will work on your behalf and under your instruction.
- You will be required to report frequently to Finance and prepare suitable reports and presentations on the performance of your department inline with the company’s requirements.
- You will liaise with other departments regarding their requirements and work within their available budgets to source materials/services appropriate to their needs.
- You will be expected to seek out new suppliers in order to ensure the best possible goods and services are being obtained at the best possible price. You will also maintain relationships with existing suppliers and negotiate annual pricing strategies.
- Some Procurement Managers are expected to undertake international travel as part of their role to source goods and services.
- You will be expected to research new markets and present data to support your findings and recommendations.
Key skills and qualifications of a Shipping Procurement Manager:
- Ideally you must be educated to degree level or equivalent. Having a degree in Logistics, Business Administration, Supply Chain Management or Purchasing is extremely helpful
- You may be expected to demonstrate previous experience within the Shipping industry depending upon the job offered.
- Strong market awareness and an understanding of how a business operates are essential to be a successful Shipping Procurement Manager.
- The ability to negotiate and lead a team of people is very important.
- Strong numeracy skills and the ability to problem solve as well as work under pressure and to tight deadlines for the procurement of goods and services.
- You must be a highly organised individual with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to network and form relationships on behalf of the company whilst undertaking your role as Shipping Procurement Manager.
- You must be able to operate Microsoft Windows Office Suite.
How to find more Shipping Procurement Manager jobs within the Marine Industry:
To find more Shipping Procurement Manager jobs or other jobs within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.