The role of a Fine Art Exhibition Assistant is a superb career offering many job opportunities. As Exhibition Assistant would work either directly for an art gallery, museum or a fine art shipping company.
Your role would be to install and uninstall exhibitions as directed by the museum or gallery. This is a very specialist job as you are responsible for receiving, unpacking and then repackaging all artwork. You may also be required to pack artwork that has been purchased and requires specialist shipping.
What does the job description include?
- You will be required to provide operational requirements relating to the preparing and staging of art exhibitions.
- The role involves booking transportation of artwork and managing the delivery or receiving process in relation to the art being shipped.
- Knowledge of specialist packing of fine art is essential as you will manage the unpacking and re-packaging of artwork.
- You will liaise with supplier and shippers in relation to the exhibition you are working on and may work with other members of a gallery or museum in this capacity.
- You are responsible for the installation of artwork display and also the uninstall process.
- You will be responsible for all paperwork associated with the design and art exhibition process.
- Depending on the employer, you may also be responsible for the general cleanliness and presentation of the exhibition space.
Key skills and qualifications of an Art Exhibition Assistant:
- You must hold a degree, preferably in History of Art and have previous experience of working either within a gallery or museum.
- An Art Exhibition Assistant is required to be efficient and well organised.
- You must be an excellent communicator and be able to converse freely with people and explain your ideas and plans.
- You must have expert knowledge of packing and unpacking artwork.
- You will be expected to book travel and also deal with suppliers so you must be able to establish business relationship and negotiate the best rates available.
- You must have knowledge of databases and be proficient in Microsoft Office.
How to find more jobs within the Fine Art Shipping Industry:
To find more Art Exhibition Assistant jobs or other similar roles within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.