The position of Export Manager within Freight Forwarding offers the post holder the opportunity to pursue a career path in a very exciting area of Shipping and Logistics. The role of Export Manager involves the planning, coordination and distribution or movement of a product or service to the customer.
The job of Export Manager falls under the broader career category of Sales Manager and so a background in sales would be ideal. The post holder will be responsible for managing a sales team, establishing sales territories, setting sales targets in association with senior managers of the organisation, analysing sales statistics and helping to grow the business. The Export Manager is a key member of the organisation and will expected to be a great communicator together with the ability to establish and maintain relationships both internally and externally.
What does an Export Manager Job description include?
- The Export Manager plays a key role within the sales team of the organisation and so you will be required to contribute significantly to the sales strategy and determining budgets and sales targets.
- Within Freight Forwarding you will be responsible for the management of the Export sales team which will include the monitoring of their performance, planning training appropriate to their needs and the control of the sales and service programmes.
- The Export Manager will also be responsible for the management of client relationships and ensuring that your staff manage any complaints appropriately. Maintaining good customer relationships is vital to the function of the Export department and so monitoring customer feedback is essential to maintain high levels of customer service.
- Depending upon the what the product or service that the company you are employed by deals in, will determine how you will be expected to co-ordinate and review activities in sales and service accounting and record keeping. But, as a general rule, you will be expected to be able to advise dealers and distributors on policies and operating procedures to ensure the business runs effectively and efficiently.
- A key role of the Export Manager is assessing marketing potential of new and existing sales opportunities and so it is important that you are able to present new opportunities in a clear and analytical manner to senior managers within the organisation.
Key skills and qualifications of an Export Manager
- Ideally, to become successfully employed as an Export Manager within Freight Forwarding you will be educated to degree standard and hold relevant qualifications in sales and marketing. Some employers will accept significant experience in Export as a pre-requisite.
- As an Export Manager you must have experience of managing people, including monitoring performance and setting sales targets.
- Sound and proven understanding of sales and marketing strategy is vital in the role of Export Manager as well as the ability to engage critical thinking and problem solving techniques.
- It is essential to have a good understanding of business finance and be able to manage budgets as well as set sales targets and evaluate sales data.
- As an Export Manager, you must be able to communicate your ideas and information in writing as well as orally so that others will understand.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain and develop new client relationships. The ability to influence others to buy goods or services, or negotiate for the benefit of the organisation.
- You will be expected to be familiar with standard industry computer programs.
How to find more Export Manager vacancies within the Freight Forwarding Industry:
To find more Export Manager jobs or other jobs within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.