Establishing a career as a Fine Art Gallery Assistant will provide both enormous work satisfaction, but also provide you with the perfect opportunity to work your way up within the fine art world.
As a Fine Art Gallery Assistant you could work either directly for an art gallery or for a company that specialises in the shipping artwork. The principle role of a Fine Art Gallery Assistant is to catalogue the acquisitions and maintain accurate records. You may also be required to carry out research and contribute to the writing of catalogues or brochures. This is a job that is broad in its role, providing a high level of responsibility, growth and opportunity.
What does a Fine Art Gallery Assistant job description include?
- The job of a Fine Art Gallery Assistant includes the cataloguing and maintain of the records of the fine arts held within the gallery or by the specialist fine art shippers.
- A Fine Art Gallery Assistant is involved in planning, organising and presenting or exhibiting fine art as well as arranging the loan of fine art and negotiating any fees which may be associated with the load.
- You will be the first direct contact for those people interested in the fine art within the gallery including the general public, voluntary groups, schools and the local community as well as corporate organisations.
- You may be involved in assisting the Gallery Manager with the arranging of sponsorships or completing funding applications.
- You will carry out general administrative duties, such as answering emails, typing correspondence, answering telephone calls as well as open and close the gallery.
Key skills and qualifications of a Fine Art Galley Assistant:
- You should be educated to degree level, preferably related to art and have a strong interest in art generally.
- Previous experience of working in a Fine Art Gallery may not be required if you are able to demonstrate a high level of knowledge of fine art.
- A Fine Art Gallery Assistant needs to have excellent verbal communication skills as this role is public facing and so the ideal candidate should be able to converse freely with visitors to the gallery.
- You must be well organised, good at compiling inventory and maintaining accurate records.
- Ideally, you will have a creative disposition, which allows you to help manage the fine art and assist with exhibitions and displays.
- An understanding of marketing and PR would be a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office is required.
How to find more Fine Art Gallery Assistant jobs within the Fine Art Shipping Industry:
To find more Fine Art Gallery Assistant jobs or other jobs within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.