A career as a QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer within the Shipping Industry offers a rewarding and exciting work environment. In this role you will monitor and assist with all QHSE related matters such as ISO requirements, inspections, audits and all supporting documentation.
A QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer is a role, which demands attention to detail in order to maintain safety systems on an operational basis as dictated, and in accordance with, the Marine and Shipping standards best practices. As the QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer it is your responsibility to ensure the procedures are follow as failure to do so can result in legal prosecutions against the company.
What does a QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer job description include?
- You will act as the company’s Quality Co-ordinator to ensure that all health and safety procedures are carried out correctly according to local, national and international legislation. This role usually involves attending external QHSE meetings as the company’s representative.
- The QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer is responsible for all documentation in relation to health and safety and you will be required to keep all documentation and safety manuals up to date and distribute appropriately within the organisation.
- You will also be required to prepare policies and procedures for the company’s health and safety programme, which must meet quality and certification in ISO 9000, 14000 and 18000.
- The QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer is usually responsible for ensuring all safety training is carried out and induction programmes for new employees includes a thorough QHSE element.
- You will be required to be part of any emergency response team or disaster recovery team in the event of an incident.
- You will be required to attend internal meetings regarding the company’s safety policies and procedures as well as ensure continuity of the quality and manpower requirements of policies in the interests of the company.
- Where applicable, you will also be responsible as the QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer for the liaising with third party ship manager and join venture vessel operators to ensure standards are maintained, sharing experiences and coordination of HSE matters.
- You will also be responsible for carrying out all audits and preparing regular QHSE reports for the management team.
Key skills and qualifications of a QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer:
- To become employed as a QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer you must be educated to degree standard and hold relevant QHSE qualifications.
- Previous experience as a QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer in Shipping may be required, or equivalent experience in a similar role outside of the shipping industry may be acceptable.
- You must be an excellent communicator and able to write in a clear and concise manner. Excellent verbal skills are essential as you will be expected to participate in the devising, supervision and delivery of training programmes.
- As a QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer you will act as the company’s representative at external meetings and so it is important that you have excellent interpersonal skills.
- In the event of a health and safety incident, you will be required to represent the company’s interests and so it is important that you able to problem solve and possess listening skills.
- You will be expected to be able operate Microsoft Windows applications eg Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
How to find more QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer jobs within the Maritime Industry:
To find more QHSE Engineer or Safety Officer jobs or other jobs within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.