We are partnering with a leading retailer who is seeking a Customs Manager to join their growing team based in Nuneaton.
The Customs Manager will be responsible for developing and managing a Customs and Excise Team as well as take the lead a solid internal team and ensure productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders of all levels.
- Oversee the completion of assorted HMRC customs and excise declarations and assist the business to ensure its legally compliant with HMRC customs and excise regulations.
- Lead a team whilst keeping focus on key goals and objectives, working collaboratively to deliver success.
- Ensure relevant customs and excise HMRC returns are met.
- Monitor HMRC deferment account and associated guarantee levels.
- Provide support to the team on difficult HTS code classifications (using GIRs).
- Be Buying Department facing, supporting in customs and excise training to internal colleagues, explaining and engaging.
- Keep abreast of changes in legislation.
- Be proactive, plan ahead, anticipate and manage risks.
- Develop and review documented procedures and training material.
- Work through issues as they evolve with pace.
- Build effective and collaborative relationships and networks, both within and externally.
- Ensure the team and multi skilled and ensure sufficient cover during regulatory deadlines.
- Develop talent providing training to improve knowledge, skills and competencies.
- Drive a positive team culture and develop behaviours.
- Encourage the team and peers to generate new ideas.
- Spot opportunities, define solutions and create a clear action plan.
- Respond to technical queries from inside and outside business partners.
- Support the development, design and implementation of internal controls.
- Over 5 years’ experience dealing with customs and excise within a large organisation.
- Any qualification within Customs & Trade Compliance would be advantageous.
- Be knowledgeable of Customs & Excise processes and regulatory tax returns
- Good knowledge of the customs systems including CHIEF, Destin8 etc.
- Prior experience working with HMRC would be beneficial.