As a Gallery Curator your main responsibility will be the management of the organisation and order of artworks within a Gallery space.
Gallery Curator Job Duties:
As a Gallery Curator, you can expect your duties to include the following:
- You will be responsible for creating and visualising the plans for the layout of artworks displayed within a gallery space.
- You will play a leading role in the implementation of exhibitions, arranging the displays and coordinating the development of exhibitions.
- You will need to gain a full understanding of the history and meaning behind the artworks in the gallery’s collections, in order to create relevant themes for exhibits.
- You will conduct extensive research to ensure all information about the artworks is correct and up to date.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that all collections are properly preserved to the highest standard.
- You will be responsible for creating relevant literature and labels to support each individual artwork and collection.
- You will be responsible for cataloguing all artwork leaving or entering storage, or arriving from other premises, liaising with individuals such as a Registrar to ensure the accurate recording of loans-in and loans-out, as well as ensuring regulations are adhered to.
- You will be responsible for enquiring and negotiating the prices of artwork, which may add significant value or meaning to a collection.
- You will be responsible for arranging the transport of new items bought or donated to the collection, or old items returning to the gallery.
Key skills and qualifications of a Gallery Curator:
The following skills will be beneficial to a candidate looking to apply for this role:
- Previous curatorial experience or qualifications are required.
- Experience in carrying out high-quality historical research is essential.
- Experience of handling artwork is essential.
- Excellent written communication skills are essential for this role.
- A clear understanding of the history of the galleries collections can be useful.
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines is essential.
Is a Gallery Curator job in your future?
If the above sounds like a position that you would be suitable for, then please contact us here.