As a Gallery Director, your main responsibility will be the running of the business development and sales aspect of the Gallery. This requires exceptional organisation and administration skills, as well as excellent communication skills.
Gallery Director Job Duties:
As a Gallery Director, you can expect your duties to include the following:
- You will be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with collectors, auction houses and artists to keep up to date with the latest trends within the art market.
- You will be responsible for carrying out art sales and managing all of the relevant paperwork that goes alongside this, such as receipts and invoices.
- You will be responsible for developing a large client base, ensuring that they are all kept up to date with upcoming exhibitions and artwork due to be on sale.
- You will help to assist with and attend any exhibition openings and other gallery events.
- You will be responsible for working closely with the gallery manager to document all artworks entering and leaving the gallery.
- You will handle the marketing of the gallery in order to promote and contact press for the publicity of events.
- You will be responsible for liaising with a financial accountant to keep track of any budgets and ensure that sales targets are met.
- You will be required to attend auctions and art fairs to ensure you are up to date on the accurate worth of art in the current market.
- You will be responsible for seeking out and purchasing new art for the Gallery that will increase sales.
- You will often be required to attend client meetings and visits to promote your gallery.
Key skills and qualifications of a Gallery Director:
The following skills will be beneficial to a candidate looking to apply for this role:
- An excellent understanding of the market is essential.
- Previous experience working within a gallery space or a similar role is essential.
- Previous managerial and director experience is required.
- A well established client base is beneficial for this role.
- A previous track record of art sales and achieving targets is required.
- Excellent communication skills are essential for attending client visits and promoting your gallery.
Is a Gallery Director job in your future?
If the above sounds like a position that you would be suitable for, then please contact us here.