The role of a General Manager is central to an organisation. This position is often the lynch pin within the company, connecting all departments and so although there will be key areas of a General Manager’s job that is specific to whatever industry you might be working in, the key skills are universal to all positions.
So if you are searching for work for senior executive employment and have a background in general management, then you may well be suitable for most General Manager positions on offer, whatever the industry. Working as a General Manager within Corporate Relocations and International Removals is a niche industry and does require specialist knowledge, but if you have previous experience within International Moving, you could possibly access this industry and develop a new career.
What does a Corporate Relocation/International Removals General Manager job description include?
- As a General Manager working within Corporate Relocations/International Removals, you will be expected to oversee all business development including achieving company targets.
- The General Manager is responsible for maintaining all staffing levels and will be the direct report for all line managers.
- Maintaining and achieving customers expectations through SLA’s is also a very import part of a General Manager’s role.
- A General Manger is also expected to devise and monitor all budgets for the organisation with the involvement of other managers. Setting targets and regularly reviewing progress is critical to the success of the business.
- The General Manager is seen as a ‘leader’ and therefore, it will be your job to lead your team, set performance targets, motivate staff, develop and train staff and be involved in some performance appraisals.
- This role is seen as high profile in that, as General Manager, you will be expected to represent the company and act as spokesperson on behalf of the company at public and trade events.
Key skills and qualifications of a General Manager:
- All senior executive employment asks for degree level or equivalent education. Some positions may also require other relevant management qualifications eg an MBA.
- As a General Manager working within Corporate Relocations/International Removals, you may be required to have had previous experience in this industry, although previous knowledge of the sector, may be sufficient.
- You must have an excellent understanding of business finance and preparing budgets, setting targets and analysing market data.
- To be effective in a General Manager job, you must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. You must be able to motivate and lead a team of people and be a confident presenter.
- An understanding of HR procedures is often advantageous as a General Manager is very people focussed and so it is important that you understand employment law in relation to managing people.
- Problem solving and negotiating skills are key requirements for a General Manager as you will be often the first person a problem is passed to and it will be your job to manage the problem solving process with your team of managers.
- You must be familiar with standard office software such as Microsoft Office, Excel and PowerPoint.
How to find more General Manager jobs within the Corporate Relocations/International Removals Industry:
To find more General Manager jobs or other jobs within this sector, or to place a vacancy, please contact us.