Alchemy is delighted to be partnering with a world-renowned international auction house in their search for Head of Photographs.
This is a senior leadership position for their New York-based team of professionals. Our client combines years of exemplary service and a sterling reputation as a leading international auction house with state-of-the-art facilities and forward-thinking digital innovation.
They are continuing to invest heavily in both their technology and their people as part of their commitment to the auction house of choice for Fine Art and Jewellery.
This senior leadership role is a fantastic opportunity for an expert in Photography to join one of the world’s best-known and well-respected auction houses.
- Represent our client in New York and the United States, travelling throughout these places in order to generate profitable business for the organisation both locally and globally
- Collaborate with the Fine Art division to develop sales that will appeal to 20th-century shoppers across all categories
- Manage a two-person team in New York, ensuring employee retention and development while handling new hires and training
- Source properties and market our client's professional services, such as consignment, private sales, and appraisals
- Manage the Department's auction and private sales strategy, as well as find purchasers for consigned goods. Attend auctions and private selling exhibits in the United States and abroad
- Establish and maintain connections with collectors, galleries, curators, art advisors, companies, and fiduciaries who might be interested in buying or selling property with the client
- Establish new client relationships and strengthen current ones in the region and beyond, creating new business through personal visits, direct mailings, and phone calls
- Work with senior staff on annual budget plan, as well as effectively managing and fulfilling the Department's assigned budget and leading pricing sessions with your team
- Collaborate with marketing and communication departments to effectively and efficiently convey the Photographs department's sales, services, events, and specialists
- Solid experience in Photography
- Significant auction industry experience, preferably at a leading auction house
- Ability to successfully manage and develop a team
- Bachelor's degree and/or master’s degree in Art History or a comparable field
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and prioritize workload.
- Established active network of collectors and dealers in the photographs field.
- Highly professional approach and Excellent communication when working with clients.
- Tech-savvy and able to stay up to date with digital advancements.
- Happy to travel internationally as required.